Saturday 3 August 2013

A few comments on comments

Bruce over at The Online Darkroom (a blog well worth viewing, if you haven't been there already) kindly gave me a rather long mention on one of his posts recently, following which someone - who wishes to remain anonymous - asked why he (or she) couldn't leave an anonymous comment on this blog. It seemed they had attempted to leave a much-valued comment, but weren't allowed to without a profile of some sort.

With complete understanding regarding why anyone would want to remain anonymous on the internet (although I'm pretty sure the NSA and a whole load of other three-letter-acronym-type-agencies already have more than enough information about any of us...) I checked to see why anonymous comments were being rejected.

Using my IT skill (that's singular, not plural) I quickly found the fault, which I can summarise for the even-less-IT-skilled-than-me as follows:
  1. I'm an idiot when it comes to IT stuff.
  2. See 1.
There is a very clear list in the Template for a blogger to select re' ID's for comments - including "Anonymous". For some reason (hmm... see 1 and 2 above, I would suggest...)  I had picked an option limiting who could leave comments - a bit silly, really, considering they are one of the most useful  things in the blog, and I welcome any feedback, however brief.

I have now ticked the correct box, which should enable all readers to leave a few (or many) words without revealing an ID or needing a profile.

Hopefully, Anonymous will leave that comment sometime...

Best Regards

Eddie

4 comments:

  1. Hi Eddie, I was one of the anonymous! It's not so much wanting to be unknown, more not wanting to have a Google account or any other.
    As to my post: great photography and text! I too use Leica; film and digital but not simultaneously, so I'll be interested how you get along with using film and digital during the same photo shoot. I'm currently using film but I can't reveal any more about myself as "They" might find me. Thanks for the blog,

    Mike.

    (Did I just write that out loud)?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mike (oops!)

      I've just had a week in York UK trying to use the M9 exclusively - more or less trying to get used to the digital concept. I must admit the immediacy of seeing the results seemed to be useful - although by the third day I'd switched off the review function, so that I wouldn't be tempted to spend (waste?) time looking at what I'd just shot instead of looking for the next shot.

      I'm in the Lake District for this week - and I'm using film plus mixing the usage with digital. It's pretty easy to switch from the M6 or M4 to the M9, they're similar enough in operation (although I still find myself trying to wind-on the M9 between shots). It also feels like I take far more with the digital - ie repeating frames just for the sake of it. When I get the film processed I'll let you know how the dual-usage works out.!

      Thanks for your comment - much appreciated

      Regards

      Eddie

      Delete
  2. for most people in this day & age common sense is at a premium!!

    I enjoy reading your blog very much!

    A pleasure....

    A

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anonymous

      Thanks for the comment - hopefully you'll leave comments again on future visits!

      Much appreciated

      Best regards

      Eddie

      Delete

Comments are welcome. So is any advice you may have. I've added moderation to comments, so you may not see them as soon as you've posted. Thanks for taking the time to visit and, hopefully, leaving a message!